Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Award
This award honors a senior student affairs professional or faculty member who has demonstrated a deep commitment to advancing diversity and inclusion throughout their administrative or academic tenure. This award is named in honor of the first person of color to serve as NASPA president and who was also the first African American Administrator at Florida State University. Dr. Leach’s life and career was dedicated to bringing people of different backgrounds together for the purpose of promoting equality for all.
View all awards by this group
Deadline: Feb. 15, 2019
Please click on Apply Now for further instructions regarding submitting a nomination, as well as to determine the current year's submission deadline.
Questions regarding the awards process can be directed to:Apply Now
Below are the criteria that the Selections and Awards Committee of the NASPA Board of Directors will use to evaluate the nominees. Bolded bullets are required, while non-bolded bullets are preferred.
- Strong and sustained record of professional and/or civic involvement in activities that promote diversity, and inclusion in education and/or the community
- Actively engaged in advocating for, and advancing, diversity and inclusion in the profession through one’s administrative and/or academic work
- Reputation for taking a stand on critical issues related to diversity, and inclusion even at risk to one’s reputation and vocation
- An individual whose work has “broken barriers” and in so doing has served as a role model, and helped to facilitate employment and educational access and opportunity, for others from diverse backgrounds
- Active NASPA membership (in Region III)